Where to Thermal
Don't do it right on the ridge among low-airtime slope soarers. Push out into the thermal so gaining height by the time you 360 over a busy ridge.
Joining a Thermalling Pilot
He has right of way! Try to approach him to join the pattern behind him. However you play it, don't get in his way.
Joining a Group of Thermalling Pilots
They have right of way! Join on the outside of the orbit pattern. Close with the core in a way that doesn't bugga up others!
Orbiting With Others
- Turn in the same direction as the first pilot who entered the thermal. If you don't know who that woz follow the direction of the highest pilot nearest you.
- Paragliders - Don't suddenly fly straight and slow down if a hang-glider is following at your level.
- Hang-gliders - In 15mph+ winds DO expect paragliders to stop thermalling and head into wind to avoid being blown over the back of the hill.
- Make sure the path of your orbit doesn't bugga up another pilot.
- The LOWER pilot has right of way. If someone below you is out-climbing you, widen your turn to let him/her past. (Then follow the bugga up!) li>